Nine-Tenths of the Law

Nine-Tenths of the Law - L.A. Witt

1.5 stars this book made me angry

I thought this would be a simple "meh" read, but that was apparently hoping for too much.

This started off pretty well and I'd been enjoying it quite a bit, but it doesn't take long before my care level started to slip. I wanted to like this more, I really did, but there's just so much misdirected anger from Nathan throughout this book that keeps getting in the way of Nathan and Zack actually being happy. A lot of the book reads like this:

-Jake can't take no for a no and won't leave them alone
-Zack and Nathan fight (always about Jake)
-lots of makeup sex (seriously, lots) that momentarily seems to fix everything
-repeat

"Let me ask you this: Have I ever given you any reason to doubt me? Have I given you any reason to think I'm lying to you?"
"No, you haven't, but-"
"When does this stop being about Jake and start being about us?"

You make an excellent point there Zack. And yet you keep talking to Jake, in person, on the phone, deliberately trying to have the last word with him so you can try to move on, but without ever making good decisions that will allow you to move on. And then there's you Nathan

"What did you expect me to do?"
"Oh, gee, let me think about this," I snapped. "I don't know, maybe...trust me? For once?"
"So I'm supposed to just ignore the things that seem suspiciously similar to things he did?"

YES! Bloodly fucking yes you're supposed to! I understand that you have trust issues dude, but holy fuck get over yourself.

Zack, leave him and don't look back. Go snuggle your cats in your bed and find someone who isn't such an asshole. Nathan's pretty hot, sure, but there are other guys who can give great sex too, who don't come back after you after you've broken up and begun to move on (sound familiar? *hint hint nudge nudge* idiot) and have the convenient excuse of having trusted you all along but not wanting to get his heart broken again. Seriously Zack, you should've gone back home to your cats. Look how cute they are!

Leave the jerks behind.