The Inventor's Companion

The Inventor's Companion - Ariel Tachna The Inventor's Companion felt like a new experience for me to dive into. I'm not familiar enough with steampunk to feel it as anything but a new experience, and one I was quite liking. Ariel Tachna's prose and imagination made for an nice read. Her world is interesting and certainly creative, as are her characters. Overall, the story was engrossing and enjoyable.

One would think (as I did) with so much good that I would be compelled to reach the end. Sadly, this is not the case as I found myself choosing instead to drop the book a little before half-way.

While I am not bothered by the concept of an overprotective lover, Gabriel's character presents too much jealousy of his lover for me to feel content. In a way, it is sweet since he obviously cares for Lucio so deeply, constantly showing his concern for his lover's well being. But his tendency to dwell on the negative of Lucio's forced role in society (a hired companion for the rich to do with as they please), rather than finding more comfort in the quality time they manage to get, irked me to no end. There are signs that Gabriel will receive some much needed character development and grow to change his jealous feelings in time (Gabriel's own friends telling him to be happy in Lucio's presence, Lucio's friend Cressida helping the two lovers and telling Gabriel to mind how he acts with Lucio, Gabriel's conviction that the caste system is undoubtedly unfair to all members of society and wish to change the world for the better, and Gabriel's obvious love for Lucio and desire to see him happy). However, these signs were not enough for me, and sadly - for the story is still good - I chose to drop the story rather than wade through Gabriel's jealousy clouding his mind and better judgment a moment longer, since I knew a single turn of the page or press of a button would not let me see Gabriel changed for the better all at once.