Love The One You're With

Love The One You're With - 1lostone 3.5 stars

Despite the rating I pretty much fell in love with this fic. I started it late last night, got distracted watching a movie with my boyfriend and stayed up late finishing both movie and fic. Even with its problems, and the fic definitely has some problems, it was difficult to put this one down.

After all the fic I've been finding and getting lately I finally decided I really wanted to just sit down and actually read oneand finish it. So it's possible I might have been a little bit desperate jumping into this one, but it was no less enjoyable for it. I won't go over the plot, since you jump into it right away; it's not exactly new or ingenious, but it did provide a good backdrop for the start and progress of Spock and Kirk's relationship.

Cute, sweet, and amusing as this fic was, there were some noticeable issues. The author gives thanks to their beta, but I think this story could have used another set of eyes to provide some necessary improvement. Throughout the fic there are several editing errors; they are minor, and although they are still quite noticeable, it's easy enough to read over them and fix the sentences as you read along: adding a word here, taking out one there, occasionally changing the word choice, correcting the brief moments of tense changing within the same paragraph, fixing some punctuation, etc.

Overall I liked this fic, but I can only recommend it for a moment when you are in the mood for Spock/Kirk and are so starved for a fic that you aren't going to be bothered by such aforementioned editing errors without them this would be a 4 star read for me. If you are in the mood for perfection then you'll want to put this one on the back burner.

Favorite quotes:
"Bones, Bones Bones Bones Bones Bones Bones!"
"Jim, you Goddamn infant, sit down and I'll be with you when I'm ready."
The first thing that was going to happen was that Spock was probably going to kill him, with an inventive assist by Bones. Hell, this would probably be the thing that brought them together and allowed the two to realize how much they had in common.
Which was kind of depressing, actually.
"So, on a scale from one to... oh... ten, how pissed are you?"
Spock got up and left him without a word.
"Pretty pissed, then."
"You had me at observation."
"I beg your pardon?"
Jim shook his head. Handjobs in the shower was a pretty big step. It was maybe a little early to work on obscure twentieth century pop culture references.